Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Arrowhead Redneck

    I'm not lazy.  Well maybe I am lazy, but not as lazy as my wife says I am.  Sometime during the last year, I don't know exactly when, the muffler on my lawn mower fell off. One of the bolts broke at the threads the other, missing.  The mower itself still worked fine.  It was nothing a pair of earplugs couldn't fix.
    All is good  until the other day when I'm mowing the lawn and a unfamiliar truck drives up slows down near me then continues to the end of the cul-de-sac.  This guy pulls up next to me and with a slurred aggression proceeds to tell me how annoying my lawn mower is and that I'd better take care of it.  Not to be impolite I point my head lamp away from his face and politely ask him what time it is.  He beer burps 9:30 PM and I make a mental note that it is still early.
    Now I am not one to back down from an argument nor am I one to place labels on certain "types" of people but noticing the gun rack, scraggly beard, trucker cap, and his friend, whom may or may not be called Bubba, in the passenger seat, I figured he was right then persisted to tell him so.  With so little resistance I believe I caught him at a loss for words. He repeats the same words " yah better get it fixed".  So I mumble a few choice words while turning my light back on and turned to finish at least the front lawn.  No use in waisting the rest of a beautiful day.
   I found out he lived  a street over, hence never meeting before.  Which brings up a question, are your neighbors just limited to your street or is there a certain area of radius?  Where does your neighborhood end?   I fixed the muffler the next day before mowing the back yard which incidentally only took two screws and 15 minutes.  Does that make me lazy?

1 comment: